The construction of the VFIS school was designed and supervised by Finnish architects reflecting the philosophy of Finnish education and the Finnish approach to learning. The campus has a basement and three floors plus the roof with a total construction area over 50,000m2 on a 5-hectare site within TDTU’s main campus. The building enables VFIS pupils to learn independently and collaboratively, and to think, plan and explore in a supportive and inspiring school environment.
The VFIS learning environment aims at:
- Enabling the joy of learning
- Supporting thinking and learning to learn skills in a safe and flexible environment
- Allowing for wide-ranging transversal skills through multidisciplinary learning modules
- Developing communal knowledge
- Laying the foundation for a sustainable way of life
The school is designed to be safe and to promote students’ healthy growth and development according to their age and ability.